This post was born out of the emails to my SEO subscribers who downloaded the 24 Core SEO Skills checklist. But I realized that more people can benefit from it so I put together everything in this post. Enjoy!
You’ll find actionable tips, a walk-through video and a resources bundle that will help you improve the rankings of your pages.
Why Rank Anyway? (In case you’re not sure)
The other day I was looking through the form fills that came through my website. And I found a very interesting answer to the question ‘Why me?’ that I have there:
This is the answer of my potential client to one of the questions in my form. He’s looking for eCommerce SEO help and he’s based in Toronto (I’m in Toronto as well in case you didn’t know).
I’m pretty sure that he was looking for something like ‘eCommerce SEO in Toronto’. And that’s what he saw:
He saw my website being listed first, went ahead and filled in the form. It’s treated as a conversion. A conversion can be anything depending on the business type. For eCommerce, it could be a sale or adding a product to cart.
Ok, but things were not always like that with my eCommerce service page. Here’s what the Google results looked like before I optimized it:
The difference is huge! I was lower in the search results with my homepage ranking. At that time, Google saw it as a more relevant page than my dedicated service URL. It happens a lot. My eCommerce SEO service page was somewhere on pages 2-3 of Google.
How to Push Your Site to #1
Here’s a walk-though of a simple method that I used for myself.
I have done it many times for my clients too. Here’s the result from one of them (this is just one page!):
Don’t try to find a secret button or tool or anything here. I’m not going to give you something which doesn’t exist. But I’m going to share the process that works and is repeatable.
Here’s what you can do to go from Page 2-3 to Page 1:
- Find the under-performing keywords and pages. I aimed at those which were relevant but stuck on page 2-3 or at the bottom of Page 1. You can use keyword tracking tools or the easiest way – use Google Search Console:
- Identify the main keywords that I’ll optimize for
- Check 2-4 main competitors ranking on the first positions:
- What they’re using in their title tags?
- Which headings they have on the pages – this is the key as it will give you a good idea of the subtopics your competitors cover on their pages
- Identify any enhancements (such as structured data) your competitors are using
- Think about any other improvements you can implement
- Based on your findings, make a list of the improvements for your page and start working through them
- Once you’ve implemented the improvements, roll them out and wait.
Pro tip: you can request Google to re-index your page so that it spots the changes much faster):
How to rank on page 1 of Google: Resource Bundle
I created a quick walk-through video for you. It covers the main steps mentioned above.
I’ll share the template and tools that I used, which you get a chance to see in the video.
The tools I used:
You can repeat these steps for all the major pages of your website. The growth opportunities are huger! The ultimate formula is: